Family

Would I want Scott Frost to Coach my Kid?

When Scott Frost got hired, I knew he had a lot to “tackle”. (Pun fully intended).  We all probably knew this.

I watched some of his early interviews and his positive attitude mixed with real truth about the future being difficult was what Husker fans needed to hear.

Not only was Coach Frost becoming a new coach to these Husker players, but also a new coach to these player’s  parents and family.

Did they want Frost to coach their “kid”?  Did they like the idea of him coming in with a new culture their “kid” was not recruited for?

Would I want him to coach my kid, if it happened?

I knew early on my answer, but throughout these last 6 games, my answer has become clear because of these Scott Frost quotes.

 

1.    “If you’re not doing things right yourself, it’s unrealistic to think you can hold other people to a standard.”

2.    “One of our sayings is ‘have a desire to excel and no fear of failure.’ 

3.   “When someone is not playing well it’s natural to want to make a change. I’ve just learned to drown out all the noise and make a decision based on the merits and what each individual kid has earned the right to do.” 

4.   “If someone misses a tackle or drops a ball, they don’t need to be yelled at, they need to be taught the right way to do it so it doesn’t happen again. Once you take away that fear of what might happen if you make a bad play, it really frees you up to go make great plays.”

5.  Aside from GPA, when we’re recruiting kids, the next thing we’re going to look at is what kind of kid the person is, “And I’ll tell you this right now — if there’s anything negative about women, if there’s anything racial or about sexuality, if there’s anything about guns or anything like that, we’re just not going to recruit you, period. Piece of advice for you — what you put on social media, that’s your résumé to the world. That’s what you’re trying to tell the world you’re all about. That’s how you’re advertising yourself. Be smart with that stuff.”

6.  My favorite one…. 

“It all comes down to caring enough to do it right. Not just on the field. It comes down to caring enough to do it right on Monday, on Tuesday, when you’re supposed to be in study hall, when you’re supposed to be at class, the way you treat the people that serve you food in the lunch line. People that do all those things the right way are winners.”

Only 2% of college football players will make it Pro… The other 98% will go on and do other things.  I like that Scott Frost is preparing them for the “other things”.

So, YES, I would let my kid be coached by Frost.   But if they do not have the chance, I pray that the characteristics and views that Coach Frost has will be apart of my kid’s future coaches.  Not only to make them better players, but better people.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s